Monday, January 18, 2010

It's in the Bag!

Guest Blogger - 'D'

I was thrilled when Paige asked me to write something for her blog! It’s funny because for the past 24 hours I have been trying to figure out what to write for Justawoman and today I go to my mailbox and came across a sweet little parcel from Paige. It was a calendar of vintage handbags from the Fashion Institute of Technology. The girl knows me and she knows I love purses!

For me purses are one of the true differences between the sexes. Men may be able to get away with a cool messenger bag and a backpack is a sure thing. But a murse? It’s sure to elicit some ridicule.

Women have adopted trousers, loafers, ties, blazers……..etc. We wear our guys t-shirts on occasion and we all remember Mel Gibson in a kilt. Let’s face it – for most of us, our outwardly appearing Saturday errand wardrobe is probably not a whole lot different than our guys’. But a purse – it will always elicit femininity.

Even when I am sleepily trudging around the farmer’s market in my sweats I usually have a nice bag. This week I am using a cute Mandarina Duck (http://www.mandarinaduck.com/) bag that is light grey with a slight mauve tint. I bought it a few years ago in Barcelona. For a few days after New Year’s Eve I kept using my sweet seatbelt (http://www.seatbeltbags.com/) evening bag. One of my faves, it’s lasted for almost ten years thanks to the rugged construction of seatbelts. They save lives and make for fashionable bags too!

I look forward to going on vacation not just for the obvious reasons but because after I realized that I had a little bit of a problem with the bag buying, I decided that when on vacation I would allow myself a purse purchase sans guilt. Last summer I treated myself to a cool silver clutch with a convertible handle from FAFA in Montreal. Are you noticing a trend? My travels are to accessory meccas!

We all know that nothing sinks an outfit faster than a bad handbag. So, ladies, I say embrace this final holdout of girliness. Even when wearing sweats and the dubious fleece we all own – carry a fabulous bag and hold your head high.
NOTE: If you'd like to read more from 'D' check out her blog Calamity D (http://calamidee.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment