Thursday, January 7, 2010

dinner guests

We LOVE having friends over for dinner but every time I am faced with the same problem... what do I make that will taste & look great but not take up too much time.

I wish that I could say that I am one of those people who can easily whip something up at a moment's notice that is amazing... but it is very far from the truth! This is why I am so amazed by the women I know who can so easily do this.

We rang in the New Year in Ottawa with friends when I realized I had forgotten a dip for my veggie tray. I was about to send my husband to the store & my friend 'R' says not to bother, she'll 'whip something up'. For me this would mean that I already have a dip in my fridge somewhere... but for her it means actually whipping something up from scratch! Then a few days later we stop by to visit my husband's aunt & she 'whips up' a lunch of a roasted chicken sandwich with grilled onions & mushrooms and real ginger - very tasty! Then she 'whips up' a spinach salad with clementine, pecans, tempura & a soy sauce/vinegar dressing - another masterpiece & everything fit together like we'd ordered the lunch special at a 5-star restaurant!

I find myself in awe of these women for they truly are more than 'Just a woman'! I think every woman has to have people like this in our lives which makes us want to be more, who gives us ideas and helps us feel not so afraid to try new things! Now I've gotta go find some new things to try!

1 comment:

  1. haha this post made me laugh. I am so not a whip-something-up type of girl either, I am in awe of those who are. Sounds like a cooking show opportunity for some lucky lady. They could call it 'Whip it up'. I'd totally watch :P

    ReplyDelete