Sunday, February 14, 2010

St. Valentine



So this is a different Valentine's day than I have had in the past... I'm spending it in the hospital with my baby boy after his surgery - SUCH a trooper!

For once I have something else to do. For once I don't have to feel bad when people ask if I have anything special planned and I say NO. For once I don't have to feel bad hearing what others did to celebrate this 'day of love' [insert sarcasm] when I am happy with my evening in front of the TV with a bottle of wine! Why is it that society is so caught up with this day that I feel like I have to lie & make up excuses.

Then I get to thinking ... I'll take the high road - my reply will be "I don't buy into the commercial aspects of the day - I am a good enough person I deserve to be loved & treated special every day!" But I do LOVE the sweets & chocolate that come with this day. Anyone, young, old, male, female, co-worker, friend or, oh yeah loved one, if ANYONE gave me little bit of heart shaped mouth watering goodness I would gladly say thank you with a smile, wish them a Happy St. Valentine and quickly hurry off with my bounty! No worries everyone this year I've bought myself some chocolates so there's no pressure to provide!

I can't help but seeing we've come a long way since the origin of this holiday. Although there are varied opinions on the holidays origin the most commonly accepted is that of Valentine, a priest during the third century in Rome. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men were better able to succeed & focus in war, than those married, so he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, being a romantic, defied Claudius and continued to marry young lovers - until he was caught & put to death! (For the full story & more check out: http://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day). Now my next statement is in no way saying marriage should be outlawed... but I have to agree I see Claudius' point of view. Even today single people are just more productive than those coupled-off! Perhaps it's the lack of stress, children or the increased single (child-free) vacations - whatever it is I can say I was much more successful & advanced my career much farther when single.

Now for all my coupled-off friends (and my hubby) I am not saying I do not enjoy being married or would change it, I am merely stating a fact. Yes my time is now consumed with children, running a household, and trying to find time for a relationship and myself - which is the whole point of this blog - but somewhere in there my career has had to take a back seat to Dr. visits, runny noses & cuddling with my wee ones. That's the way it is for just every woman these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment