Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kindness of Strangers

Every now and then I feel guilt at becoming a hardened 'city-folk'. would I still stop to help a stranger (overcoming my fear of being knifed - thank you evening news!). Worse still have I influenced my uber kindhearted hubby into becoming the same! Has being surrounded by other city-folk changed this small town girl?

When I think about it more I feel bad as I realize that sometimes I don't extend kindness to others merely because no one extends it to me. Then I feel WORSE when someone out of the blue shows kindness to me, like someone did today. Here's the story...

Downtown bringing my son to his Dr. check-up, trying to pay for parking at one of those 'convenient' parking pay machines - only today it's not so convenient because it was not accepting any of my 3 credit cards! Standing on the side of the street with my 6-month old baby & 2 1/2 year old son I scrounge around in my purse for $9.00 I need for parking, only to find $2.00. No bank machine in site, I'm really not sure what to do & don't want to look at getting a ticket.

Grasping my son's hand tightly I summon up the courage to ask a stranger walking by if he has change for a $5.00. To my surprise he stops, then opens his wallet & gives me 2 toonies & a loonie. Ok... only need $2 more now. Next I summon up the courage again to ask someone else. This person doesn't have any change, but offers to let me us his credit card to pay!

Driving home later I can't help but smiling and thinking to myself how some marketers have done their job well! I totally feel like the Coca-Cola Grant Theft Auto 'Give a little Love' commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSzsh4hJWI). Watch out random strangers... I'll be sharing the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment