Tuesday, December 22, 2009

the perfect gift??

How do you chose a holiday gift for the person who is responsible for caring for your child all year? The person who makes sure they are well fed, learns (and uses) manners, are kept safe and so much more. This is an important gift, it's for the person who gives hugs & magic kisses on boo-boos when mommy can't.

In reality for most moms & dad's this is also the person who spends more time with your child than you. This person spends on average 10 hours a day with your child!! I am so thankful we have such a wonderful daycre, when I look at what we pay her I almost feel bad and we aren't even in a $7/day daycare that's availble here in Quebec. When I think of this I am so thankful my mother was able to stay at home when I was young!

Usually I start by asking other moms what they give. Then I think of what would help make her life a bit more relaxing. Let's see...after all day with 6 very energetic children, I'm sure she'd like a week away down south! But since I can't afford that (not even for myself) I'll give her an hour away all to herself with a massage. Hope she likes it!

2 comments:

  1. From Guest 'N':

    On the one hand I agree with giving gifts to thank the the persons who render the most important services that help my family get by. I did indeed give my daycare provider a gift, because I consider the value she brings to my children , and therefore to me, immeasurable. I need her to take care of the kids so I can go to work. And I need her to do a good job, like educating them, supporting their potty-training, helping them to read and count. All her help has improved my life and theirs, that's a fact. Now where do we draw the line between these types of services and others, such as with your mailman, milkman, hairdresser, cleaning lady, etc. Do we feel obliged to give? Are we supposed to give? Why do we give? Surely I appreciate everyone, but these persons are being paid by their employer to do their work. As a Mom controlling a budget and passing on good spending habits to my kids, I look at this way: services that ensure my sanity and the well-being of the family are more valued by me, so those I will give a special Christmas tip for, such as daycare and cleaning lady. But I can always get my milk at the store, I already tip my hairdresser well throughout the year, and the mailman probably makes a salary similar to mine. Where does the never-ending Christmas shopping list stop? Call me scrooge, but the more we expand the circle of gifts the less meaning is attributed to those we give at the real center of our lives. Then we end up in a situation where we're giving gifts to 'Mr or Mrs So and So' and not to our own husband or mother for lack of time or money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to get her an extra thoughtful gift as well, it's a special job that she does for your family. Before I got to the bottom of your post I was thinking massage, mani, or pedi. What busy lady wouldn't love that! :)

    ReplyDelete