Saturday, July 3, 2010

Inlaws

Every married person has in-laws. You don't get to choose your in-laws, just like your own family. If you're far away from your family your in-laws are even more important.

I had a day of in-laws! After a precarious start (my mother-in-law got a flat on the highway) we went strawberry picking. Let me tell you 37 or 38 degrees with 2 kids in the sun - you are happy to have an in-law around to help! That & the fact you are creating memories ...even if they are of peeing in the open & having a strawberry stained face!!

The day ended with my father-in-law & his wife (& brother & sister-in-law) joining us for supper. Earlier I mentioned to them I was going strawberry picking in the hopes of making strawberry rhubarb jam, the wife mentioned a pie she had made... Rhubarb Custard Pie & suggested I try it. Being adventurous (& loving the mix) I decided to try Strawberry Rhubarb Custard Pie. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! Everyone was pleased & I was happy to make a meal that was equal to my martha-like sister-in-law... one day I will have it as together as her.

Below is the original recipe. (SEE MY NOTES AT THE END).

CUSTARD RHUBARB PIE

Line a 9 inch pie dish with pastry.
Combine:
2 beaten eggs
2 tbsp. milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. flour
Pinch of salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
Add:
1 1/2 c. rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch slices
Pour mixture into pie shell.
Top with crumb topping.
Bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until custard is set up.

CRUMB TOPPING:
Combine by cutting with pastry cutter:
1/2 c. butter (cold)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour

NOTE: Suggestions: put in less sugar - again I used a packet of vanilla sugar. I added strawberries & rhubarb to the pie crust (about 4 cups total) to make sure I had enough to fill, then added them to the custard to mix it all before dumping back into the pie. Lastly I put a pie crust cover on top instead of the crumble topping - next time I'll try the crumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment